Saturday, April 26, 2014

What I Found at the Midland Farmer's Market

   This morning me and the parental units made our way to the downtown Midland Farmer's Market in search of yummy and local food. Unfortunately most of the produce vendors were not there because our weather has been Funky and it might be a little early in the season. After grabbing a dark roast coffee, I made my way from vendor to vendor. Nothing really caught my eye until a sweet black lab hanging out at the Dragonfly Farm stand looked my way. I cannot resist a cute dog. This stand had several boxes of produce and I found a gem amongst the greens. I saw the most strange looking vegetable nestled in a box with beets and radishes. Kohlrabi is a root vegetable that comes in light green to dark purple bulbs with green leaves. Since I had never heard of this thing I had to have it!

Kohlrabi in all its glory!
More of my bounty :).
    Tomorrow I will be experimenting with the kohlrabi in the kitchen. The leaves I will bake in the oven with a little olive oil, black pepper, and shaved Parmesan. The bulb will be cut into smaller pieces and put into a stir fry with just a slight char on the veggie. Let's get cooking, stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment