Monday, December 23, 2013

Go Cadaver Transplants or Go Home

     Today is a magical day, the kind where you see unicorns and life doesn't suck so much. The CPM unit that I have been sharing my bed with for two weeks has gone back to live with Paradigm Physical Therapy. The DVT cuffs have been boxed up and hauled off to UPS as well. Even physical therapy went well for the most part. I decided that today would be a great time to PT without pain meds. Deep yoga breathing came in handy as my therapist stretched my tight hamstrings and massaged my calf. Ice became my best friend and eased the soreness that was brought on by my workout.

     This second transplant has been so different than my first mainly because this time a cadaver ligament was used. The first go around my own tissue was used and I did not have a CPM unit or DVT cuffs once I went home post-op. I am able to do so much more second week post-op with a cadaver ligament than my own tissue. Everyone should have the choice between using cadaver or your own tissue. Please consider cadaver, the science backs it up as do the many thousands of happy patients. Below are two websites that are worth reading if you are in need of an ACL reconstruction.

  • http://www.orthoassociates.com/SP11B35/
  • http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/apr12/cover1.asp 
     As a patient it is vital that you are informed of all your choices concerning surgery and physical therapy. Make a list of questions and concerns before you see the doctor to make the most of your appointment. Do not be afraid to seek a second opinion if you are ever uncomfortable with your treatment plan. When I began calling around for a surgeon I paid close attention to how I was treated by the front desk. Remember, everyone in the office will be involved in your recovery so it is important that you are treated with respect and compassion. For example, the front desk staff @Mannix Physical Therapy blew me away with how nice they were on the phone. The entire team is wonderful and everyone loves their job.
     Take your time when looking for a surgeon and physical therapy team and be picky. This is your body which has to last for quite some time. You as a patient are important and deserve respect and compassion. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment