Friday, December 20, 2013

Surviving My Second ACL Reconstruction

                                     Surviving My Second ACL Reconstruction



Mick the pug whose owner +Lindsay Fedele is a very dear friend of mine :)





This is how I felt when the nurse informed me that my surgery was scheduled after lunch. Fasting for several hours is not a good look for me. The day of surgery was cold and grey with me hungry and nervous, ready to get this day over with. Steven and I arrived at the surgical center and I was taken back to a small room to await the needles that were coming my way. I am not a big fan of needles and was trying my best to breathe deep and not bite the nurse. The nurse was very nice but blew a beautiful vein in my left hand. As I was cursing, my lovely Doc walked in. With a huge smile he loudly exclaims, "I love saying son of a b**** too. He then gently took my right hand and began talking to me about owning dogs. I was so confused at this turn in conversation that I hardly noticed the anesthesiologist putting in a viable IV. Best doctor ever! Dr. Cochran and the anesthesiologist went over the many variables involved in my surgery.

   I was wheeled back into the operating room (OR) fully aware of what was going on around me. Damn, that was a scary experience for a person who has not yet been given the relaxing drugs. Imagine being in a cold room with people walking around with helmets on and a tray of shiny surgical instruments. The last thing I remember is darling Dr. Cochran holding my hand and telling me some ridiculous joke. Finally, I was given the relaxation drugs and drifted off. 

   Tune in next time y'all to see what happens during post-op week one :).



Fasting for several hours should be done with a hat that has ears. The sad face will be endearing to some and annoy the hell out of your husband who does not like guilt trips.





No comments:

Post a Comment