Friday, December 20, 2013

What Fresh Hell is This?

What Fresh Hell is This?

     Waking up after surgery with a pain block inserted into your upper hip is rough sailing. Apparently when asked what I wanted to eat, I replied with "I want to eat Rodney!". Rodney is my brother in law Mark's dog. Rodney is a sweet rottweiler mix that has a dopey overbite and a propensity to whine until petted. This dog has never wronged me and yet I was quite insistent on making quiche a la Rodney. Thankfully, my husband denied my canine request after he stopped laughing.

    Steven and my fabulous loud mouthed mama got me home and into bed with little fuss. However, I had a special machine waiting for me at home. A constant passive machine (CPM) allows for the leg to bend and straighten according to the degrees inputted into the handheld . The pain block made my leg numb so getting my clumsy Igor like self into this unit was so much fun. Due to a DVT or blood clot in my calf when I was 19, i had to wear DVT cuffs on my ankles. After turning on the cuffs that gently squeeze my calves every few minutes, my mother lovingly named it the fart machine. Sleeping with both machines the first night turned out to be slightly problematic, because of the slight noise and squeezing action of the cuffs. When the block wore off I awoke with a start at the immense pain traveling up and down my leg. Dear Sweet Baby Jesus thank you for pain meds and a husband who medicates me at 3:30 AM with a smile.

   My left leg nestled into my CPM unit after surgery.

       



No comments:

Post a Comment