Friday, January 17, 2014

Adventures of the kneecap

     Holy swelling batman! This week was a test for my knee and how much stress it can handle, that I received a C+ in. After 12 1/2 hours spent at the lovely campus of +The University of Texas of the Permian Basin I get home and removed my brace/corset to find a very swollen and angry knee. Icing, rest, icing, and singing soft kitty helped to alleviate some of the swelling but not all. This song and dance continued the rest of the week. So today at PT I get through all my exercises without too much trouble. Bobby came over to my table to stretch and manipulate my knee which isn't a big deal. As he is manipulating the swelling he accidently popped my kneecap out of its tracking. This is our conversation:

Bobby "Oh man, are you ok?!
Me "Totally, its fine. Could you push my kneecap back in place"?
Bobby "Seriously"?
Me "Yeah dude, use your thumb. No big deal"

    Yes I am ridiculous but the thumb manipulation worked and the pain began to subside. Just another day at PT in which I ask for the hundredth time for someone to drain my knee. Or at least give me a syringe and let me do it myself.

      What I have learned is that I am not superwoman and working only 16 hours a week will probably have to be the norm. My knee is healing fairly well and I it is irresponsible of me to ask more of it than what is reasonable. One day I will scale mountains but for now I will simply sing soft kitty to my knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment